Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fishing for Recipes

     But before I get to the fish, I must give another 15 minutes of fame to my friend Bob. He must be up to about 1.5 hours now via my blog. Anyway, Bob recently bought a condo at Top of the World, a very large complex in Clearwater. Friday evening I had the first opportunity to see his furnished unit. He did a great job; it is very cozy and comfortable. We then went to a local favorite, Sunset Grill, on Sunset Point Road. It isn't fancy; think of it as an over=sized diner,  but it has great comfort food. I had calf liver and grilled onions. I know, I know, I am one of the few people you know who like liver.. ok, I love liver. 
     This afternoon, I was sitting at home, watching cooking shows, and trying to figure out what I wanted to fix for dinner. So I stared going through a stack of cooking magazines looking for a fish or shrimp recipe. I needed seafood after the liver last night. Well, ever try to find a seafood recipe in the Thanksgiving issue of Bon Appetite or Food & Wine or Saveur. I found 20 recipes of what to do with my leftover turkey, but I don't have a leftover turkey yet. Then, voila, I found a Moroccan Halibut recipe in Bon Appetite. So off to Publix I went, and opted for Tilapia since Halibut was not to be found in the seafood case. It was very easy and very tasty. The recipe is below, direct from Epicurious.com. 
     Finally, from the Department of Health, I had another CT Scan and MRI on Thursday. I will get the results on Monday. I am currently scheduled for round two of the targeted chemotherapy on December 1, with a preceding outpatient procedure schedule for Nov 24. Stay tuned for further updates. 
Back to the good stuff... here is the recipe.


Moroccan Halibut with Carrots

Yield: Makes 2 servings
Active Time: 25 min
Total Time: 25 min

ingredients
2 5-ounce 1-inch-thick halibut fillets
1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon (generous) cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, divided
1 cup 1/4 x 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch sticks peeled carrots (cut from 2 large)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint

preparation
Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then with half of cinnamon and cayenne. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium skillet over mediumhigh heat. Add fish. Sauté until brown and just opaque in center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer fish to plates. Remove skillet from heat and wipe out. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, carrots, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and remaining cinnamon and cayenne. Toss to blend. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in mint. Mound carrots on fish and serve. 

No comments: