Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oh, What a Busy Day

It was a lovely Saturday morning in St. Petersburg. (That is about as bad of an opening line as "It was a dark and stormy night"). Let me try this again:

 "There is so much to tell. After a leisurely cup of coffee and a quick read of the morning paper, I strolled down 4th Ave under sunny skies to the reopening of the Saturday Morning Market." As I reached 1st Street, I crossed the race course of the runners and walkers from the Race for the Cure. There were hundreds (OK probably more than that) of participants supporting this excellent cause. This Saturday was also the grand opening of the Pinellas Trail extension into downtown St. Petersburg which brought additional walkers to the market. 

The market was a collection of food, art and 
crafts spread across the Progress Energy Field parking lot. The food vendors ranged from British Meat Pies, and French crepes to Jamaican Jerk meals, pastries, fresh artisan breads, to name only a few. It would be very easy to double your weight in a day tasting all the tempting food. The fresh produce stands were always crowded and all the produce looked great. 


My purchases today included an Olive Boule, Garlic and Chive Papparadelle, a collection of spices, and a lovely wedge of Mobier cheese, all the way from France. But the highlight of my shopping was not food related, but the opportunity to add to my small collection of art glass; this time from a local (Hillsborough County) glass artist, Virginia Spalter. (Any underlined text is a link to additional information). It is a wonderful, colorful, collection of various glass fragments incorporated into a 12" x 12" plate. Virginia said it represented our society with all the various ethnic and cultural backgrounds. I like that! 

I have rambled on far too long - my intent with my blog was to keep each post brief, but I get carried away when I experience something like the Saturday Morning Market,  which will become a regular part of my Saturdays. 

No comments: