Monday, February 15, 2010

Dick and Julia

So the book and movie were about Julie and Julia, but somewhere on the publisher's stack of unread manuscripts is the one titled "Dick and Julia". Actually it may be in the trash bin by now, but it is a missed opportunity for a needy publisher. So what if I only cooked one recipe, so far, from Julia's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", but it was a winner, with all the thanks going to Julia and her co-authors. This past Saturday, I prepared Bouef Bourguignon. Knowing that it would be time consuming, I opted to fix the full recipe for six, although I was only feeding two, to make sure I had leftovers. I will not bore you with the details other than to say it was a 4 plus hour effort which resulted in a wonderful meal. I served it with smashed new potatoes (deviating slightly from Julia's recommended boiled potatoes) and buttered peas. Yum!
That's all I'm Saying

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yum ... sounds delecious! My dad used to make it but he never could pronounce it correctly, so he called it "Beef Borgino."

If you want an easy but fabulous version, here is Ina Garten's recipe for it using beef filet. It's really good and much less time-consuming! (Though of course it doesn't have the character that Julia's does).


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/filet-of-beef-bourguignon-recipe/index.html