Thursday, August 18, 2011

A New Journey

It was 1962 when I moved to Florida from Ohio, following my parent to the snow-free, sunny Florida. Since that time, I can't tell you how many people have told me how much they enjoy cruises. In the past few years the interest in cruising has increased significantly (I have no factual data to support that, just more of my friends have taken cruises; Frank has been on two and has encouraged me to try it too).  My friends Paul and Libby have made cruising as a means of reaching their travel trifecta; 7 continents, 100 countries, and 50 states. Check out the status of their quest on their blog - Paul and Libby's World of Travel.


But let's get back to today, or more importantly tomorrow. Frank and I are sailing on the NCL Sky out of Miami for my FIRST ever cruise. It is only a three night cruise to Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private beach island. This is a trial run for me; if I like cruising, I will consider others.


Fortunately the tropics look fairly clear for this weekend, always a risk when you sail during hurricane season. 


I will report back to you when I get home next week. This is going to be a no-electronics tour... no laptop, no cell phones, no ebook readers - you get the idea.


My good friend, Deirdre sent me the following suggestions:

 
Try to remember the basics:
No Blackberries allowed (strawberries and blueberries are permissible)
Stay on the inside of the railing.
Don't spit into the wind.
And above all .....If the lifeboats are being let down - the hell with women and children.
 
Some good suggestions which I will try to follow.

No comments: