Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gosh Darn Good BBQ

My dear Cousin Shirley has been here this week tending to my care and feeding after the week of treatment. Fortunately my recovery has been much quicker this time than two weeks ago, so I have been able to get out more. Tonight Shirley, Frank and I ventured south to Ellenton, FL (yep, home of the famous outlet mall) to have dinner with Biff, Butch, Cherie, and Mike at Hickory Hollow BBQ. Hickory Hollow is a no-frills, eat-with-your-fingers, super casual restaurant. They serve up some mighty good BBQ offering both North Carolina style (vinegar base) and Virginia style (tomato base) sauces. Their extensive menu includes various pork and beef dishes as well as a nice selection of seafood. They even have a char-grilled pork shank on the menu. The wooden pig platter listing of sides includes approximately 20 tasty options. Toss the calorie counter out the window and pig out. We shared appetizers of Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Green Beans which were accompanied by horseradish sauce and ranch dressing and very good. Baby back ribs (some NC style, some Virginia style), pulled pork sandwich and platters (NC style) were the popular main dish selections at the table tonight. With the main you get two sides and two large corn fritters (very yummy). Our selection of sides included Roasted Corn and Peppers, Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens (not me, thank you very much), black eyed peas, and steak fries among others. We finished with two desserts, carrot cake and apple crisp, both very good. I must say we all belonged to the clean plate club attesting to the quality of the meals.
So for my friends and readers in the Tampa Bay area, take a short drive to Ellenton and have a great BBQ meal at Hickory Hollow. Even better, combine it with a shopping trip to the outlet mall. A word of caution: I understand that in season there is a line out the door, and no reservations are taken. Also it is cash only (ATM is on premises). 
Best of all, it was a fun evening with a great group of friends and relatives. 
That's my story, and I am sticking to it !

1 comment:

Sue said...

Glad to see you've got your feed bag back on!!!