Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Olive Kitteridge

I recently finished the 2009 Pulitzer Prize winning novel, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It is a collection of 13 stories based in a small coastal town in Maine, all tied together by the title character, Olive. She is a retired mathematics teacher, hence my attraction to the book. But that is as far as the math got. Unlike most of the reviewers, and the Pulitzer committee, I was not wowed by the book. It was a nice, pleasant read, and had a lot to say about human character, but I did not like Olive, which makes it hard to like the book overall. I thought she was highly opinionated and pushy and held herself above most of the people in the town. Hey, that is just my opinion. For a different take on the book, read the review from eNotes (<-- click link)

No comments: