Sunday, January 25, 2009

Russian - Part Two

A week has passed since my last post due to a lack of inspiration or significant activity other than the normal work week. But the weekend is here and, as usual, there were things to do in St. Petersburg. Yesterday was capped with The Florida Orchestra performance of Russian composers: 
RIMSKY- KORSAKOV: Suite: Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh
RACHMANINOFF: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, with pianist Peter Rosel
MUSSORGSKY/ASHKENAZY: Pictures at an Exhibition

A rousing performance, it was, and the pianist was great. As my "cheap seats" are in Row 1 we were looking up at the pianist and the underside of the piano. While a little too close, it was an opportunity to get an "up close and in person" view of the orchestra. Note to Mahaffey Theatre: dust the stage. Note to 1st violinist: A little polish on the shoes would be nice.
Earlier in the afternoon, when Frank arrived from Clearwater, we stopped at Red Mesa Cantina for a drink and appetizers. I tried two more of the soft tacos; ahi tuna and pork. Both were very tasty. We then wandered through the Art Festival at Baywalk before retuning to the loft for a wonderful (if I may brag a little) dinner of Pork Roast with Pears and Leeks. The entree was finished with a mustard cream sauce. I served wild mushroom risotto cakes as a side, utilizing some leftover risotto from earlier in the week. Frank selected, from the wine chiller, a bottle of St. Supery Virtu to accompany the meal. Very yummy !!!
Today, I plan on taking my new camera, a Canon xsi dSLR, for a test run, although I am not sure where I will go. 
I meet with my surgeon next Wednesday, so hope to have an update of the pending surgery sometime later in the week.
BTW... have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy living in "'DOWNTOWN" St. Pete.
That is my 2 cents!

No comments: