Sunday, January 11, 2009

VROOM ! VROOM !

Dateline: Sarasota, FL. January 10, 2009
At first I thought I was at Daytona Beach for Bike Week, but alas, I was in Sarasota for Bike Weekend (or something like that). The tranquility of Main Street, Sarasota, was interrupted frequently by the sights and sounds of motorcycles passing by. While the noise was a little annoying, it did not hinder our enjoyment of spending an afternoon and early evening in downtown. The primary purpose of this day-trip was to visit Sur La Table, a wonderful kitchenware store. Neither Frank nor I had been to one before. Great fun, I say. I bought a mandoline, not the stringed instrument, but the slicing, dicing, julienning wonder. We roamed around downtown, stopping for an early glass of wine at Cafe Epicure, then drove to St. Armand's Circle for a walk, then back to Main Street for dinner at Mattison's City Grille, whose owner/chef is highly regarded. We had a nice meal dining al fresco amid the aforementioned motorcycle sounds. Frank had a spinach ravioli and I had roast duck. Both were very good. It was then back to Cafe Epicure for gelati, followed by coffee at the nearby bookstore/cafe, before returning to St. Petersburg.

No comments: