Saturday, August 22, 2009

A New Toy

A few months ago, I purchased a new cell phone, a Nokia E71x, at my local AT&T Wireless store. It was a nice little smartphone at a really good price and received decent reviews. But, I quickly learned that I did not like the phone, for various reasons, including a very short battery life, and dropping my email connection repeatedly throughout the day, (requiring a reboot of the phone to reconnect). I was well past the 30-day grace period when I approached AT&T to switch phones. The local store advised me that a discounted phone was out of the question since I was past the grace period. So, not one to give up, I emailed customer support, asking for an exception. The next day I received the standard reply quoting contract issues and why I do not qualify for discount pricing. Again, not giving up, I tried again, asking that the situation be reviewed by a manager, and mentioning that if an exception could not be made, to let me know what my cancelation penalty would be... ha !. Well, that got their attention, as the next day, I received a nice email informing me that I had been approved for an exception, and the next steps to make it happen. Bottom line --> within four days, I had my new iPhone (yes, I have gone over to the dark side).
I was pleased that AT&T saw the light.

Second, I LOVE my new iPhone. It is the most intuitive phone I have ever purchased. I resisted getting one earlier, mainly because they were so popular, and I did not want to be a lemming following the crowd. The only real problem I have found with the iPhone is that it is way too much fun. I have to force myself to put it down.

That's all I'm saying !

No comments: